Monday, February 20, 2012

Sowing Seeds of Learning

     Last week I stood in front of a class of 4th graders. I made sure everyone was quiet. I made sure all eyes were on me. I gave a very explicit introduction to my topic. Then I asked a simple question, to check for understanding. At this point, I was surprised to be greeted by blank stares instead of hands raised. I repeated my short, but explicit introduction, being sure to directly include the answer to the question that I asked. I then called on a girl who had been staring right at me the whole time. Surely, I thought, she got it. No, She had no idea what I was talking about. The parable of the sower, came to mind. I was trying to plant seeds in very rocky soil.

 
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/canterbury-cathedral-typological-window-2.htm

     St. Matthew Chapter 13 verses 13-15 provide an introduction to the parable of the sower by saying:

 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
 14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
 15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

     In the parable of the sower, seed is planted, some falls by the wayside, some in rocky places, some among thorns, and some in good ground. Only the seed planted in good ground brings forth fruit. This is very applicable to being a teacher today. Although we would all like to teach classes in which all of the students are well supported and cared for at home by loving parents, this in far from the reality that we face. Many of our students come to school with problems weighing on their little minds that would overwhelm us if we knew all of them. Wishing that all of the students sitting before us were ready and eager to learn is really counterproductive. The thing that we need to concentrate on as teachers, is building up that soil as best we can. We can do this by scaffolding, giving them background knowledge, following the pattern Jesus set when he taught using common stories to tie a new idea to something that the learner already understands. We can remove some of the rocks from the soil by taking troubled children aside and really trying to find out what we can do to help. Maybe a referral to the councilor for physical support recommendations. Does Child Protective Services need to be involved or do they just need to know that you love them? Lastly, consider the seeds that fall by the wayside, are we teaching the things that students most need to learn, in ways that are most likely to impact them. Sometimes I fear that I am just throwing out information, hoping that some of it will fall on listening ears. My students deserve and need more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment