Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Facing the hoards with chariots of fire!

     I teach in an elementary school library. Oh, a librarian you might say, what an easy job. THINK AGAIN! I provide one hour of preparation time for all of the teachers in our school each week. That means that I teach between 750 to 790 children a week, depending on the attendance level. These children are dropped off in the library in groups ranging in size from 30 to 62. The larger groups are made up of two classes. I teach a 30 minute lesson and then provide a learning activity for them to complete during a 20 minute book selection and check-out time. My dream of children sitting around tables and on the carpet, blissfully reading, while I whisper my latest book recommendation to an eager learner, has largely gone out the window. With this in mind, you will understand why I chose 2 Kings 6:15-17 for my first scripture that all teachers need to rely on. 
     In this story, the King of Syria is making war on Israel. He finds out that the King of Israel keeps escaping from his armies because the Prophet Elisha is telling him where the Syrians are and when they are coming. In his anger the King of Syria sends a great host of soldiers with horses and chariots to surround the city where Elisha is staying. In the morning Elisha's servant goes out and sees that they are surrounded by a mighty army.
  
 15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
 16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

      Now when I look out on a host of five year old children, talking, hitting and wiggling around, I think, they that be with me are more than they that be with them. This gives me the strength to put some extra power into the story I am telling. Those chariots of fire get their attention. When I take a fifth grade boy aside, who has gotten on my last nerve, I think of chariots of fire. This gives me the power to put my arm around him and say, "I know that you can be better than this." when I might have wanted to say something else. 
     If we open our eyes, we will see that the school is filled with chariots of fire; and the Lord will help us reach down inside ourselves and bring out the best we have and give it to his children.
    "Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them."



http://humanityhealing.net/2010/07/intentional-merkabah/

No comments:

Post a Comment